OpenApply offers a Public API for schools to access their data and files securely. Whether you have a dedicated programming team (or more likely, a talented one-man-band!) in house or are using third parties to help develop your infrastructure, you can integrate with OpenApply through the Public API.
Faria Education Group offer support for the Public API from directly within the Settings of your OpenApply account under: Settings > Integrations > Public API > API Documentation
In addition to a full suite of public APIs, we also offer support articles demonstrating how to use them to achieve frequently requested tasks. In addition, there are articles on using Postman to assist with your development.
Below are snippets of the articles, whose full content can be accessed by customers via the provided link. If you have any trouble accessing the articles please contact the Support team for assistance.
Getting Started with Postman
Postman is the software of choice by professionals. Of course, any API client can be used with APIs, but Postman is the most complete in terms of feature set.
By the end of this article, you will be able to use the web application to interact with Faria Education Group's API for ManageBac and/or OpenApply. These Postman collections allow you to explore Faria's public APIs:
- OpenApply version 3 of the API, which requires a client ID and client secret
- ManageBac version 2 of the API, which requires an API key
- OpenApply version 1 of the API, which requires an API key
The above authentication methods are set up in each respective platform. If you haven't already set up authentication credentials in the API Manager of your ManageBac or OpenApply site, please see these articles for further guidance:
- Whether you have downloaded Postman and have an account or using the web application, you can go to Workspaces > View all and search for "Faria Education Group Public APIs":
- Postman requires at least a free Postman account, which can be used to access these resources
Continue reading Getting Started with Postman.
How to download student-linked assets from OpenApply
Problem: OpenApply is used as the entry point in the admissions process, where parents upload passport photos, and other details. You would like to be able to store those assets in another system, or perhaps upload them into your school's SIS or MIS platform.
Solution: OpenApply has an exporting feature that will allow you to do a wholesale export of all files, but if you looking for an automated process, you can use the APIs to achieve this.
- This technique assumes some understanding of APIs. Please consult OpenApply's Reference Documentation for more details about how to call each endpoint
- We support using the API to get all student information, including filtering, and retrieving updates since the last call. This student information includes a secret link to PDF files submitted to application form.
- You can then securely download these assets, save to disk, or upload to the target platform.
Continue reading How to download student-linked assets from OpenApply.
How to download custom fields and search by custom fields
Problem: With OpenApply, schools can create an unlimited amount of custom fields that can be populated with valuable data. While OpenApply also supports extensive exporting features, in order to automate processes, how to use the API to help manage our data workflows?
Solution: This article shows how to find information in custom fields using the OpenApply API with v3 authentication. The students endpoint includes all the custom fields and their values, if they are present for that student. In addition, you can use a search endpoint to retrieve the students whose custom values match a string.
Continue reading How to download custom fields and search by custom fields